Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Power of Words




I love to read, it is one of my favorite things to do. I read a variety of things, fiction, non-fiction, biographies, how-to books, children/young adult books, cookbooks, poetry and books about reading books. I am reading Moby Dick at the moment, however I am one of those people who read two or three books at the same time, so I am also reading a young adult book, "The Magician" by Michael Scott. I am also reading "Julie and Julia" by Julie Powell. I was fairly well into a book on Jackie Kennedy, but have somehow misplaced it and will probably have to start over, if I ever find it. I carry books with me everywhere, from room to room, in the car (no matter where I am going). There are those moments, I am sitting or standing waiting for someone or something, and if I have my book, I don't get as grumpy.




I read children and young adult's books because I think they are magical, fun, interesting and full of wonderful, imaginary creatures. Children haven't lost their wide eyed wonder and ability to believe almost anything is possible. A few months back I read "Inkheart",'Inkspell" and "Inkdeath" by Cornelia Funke and enjoyed them for their imagination and ability to put me right in the story. What an idea, to read someone into or out of a book! The adventures were absolutely wonderful. I read the "Lemony Snicket" series and loved it. What fun! I like Neil Gaiman and have read three of his books and would like to read more. I have plans to reread "Alice In Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass" soon. These books inspire me in my work and photography.











I love Joanne Harris and have read everything she has written. I fell in love with her writing when I read "Chocolat". I am a great fan of Thomas Wolfe and reread portions of his books all the time. I know he isn't for everyone, but I love his prose, it is just so poetic. I once suggested to my reading group that we read "Look Homeward Angel" as our monthly selection, ouch! I think perhaps the book that has had the most influence on me would have to be "Walden" by Henry David Thoreau. I have given this book as a gift to all my children and a few friends, which I am sure they were absolutely thrilled to get. Edgar Allen Poe speaks to my soul, he is magnificent! I could go on all day listing books and authors I love.

I wish everyone to be moved by the power of words!


1 comment:

artontrial said...

Wow! You intimidate me. RonK