Friday, February 19, 2010

New Project (Cat Bordhi)

 
  
I was reading Julie Powell's book Julie & Julia, about how she cooked her way through Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" and I decided to try to knit my way through Cat Borhi's book, "Personal Footprints for Insouciant Sock Knitters."  I gave much thought to whose book I should choose, and finally decided on Cat's because I think she is such an innovative knitter.  So I rushed out and purchased the yarn for the first pair of socks in the book, Purlicue, the yarn is Crystal Palace Mini Mochi (80% merino, 20% nylon, 50 gr/195 yds) 2 balls in color 107, knit on size (2.25mm) needles. I discovered a wonderful yarn shop not far from me, lucky me.  The first pair of socks look fairly easy and since I have already knitted a discovery pair, this one should be a breeze.

I will post my progress as I knit the socks, along with pictures. If anyone would like to join me in this venture, you are most welcome. I thought I would try for a pair of socks a month, but that may be too ambitious, I'll have to see how it goes. I am trying to get back to designing and making my teddy bears and dolls. I am thinking of opening an etsy store, I always sold on e-bay, but maybe it is time for something new.


 We went out to dinner at a local mexican restuarant on Valentines Day.
This was my dinner, we also had a pitcher of Horchata.

This Mexican favorite was originally brought over by the Spaniards. Melon seeds or squash seeds were originally used, but rice became more popular and is the most common type of horchata today.

Prep Time: 6 hours

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup rice
  • 1/2 of a cinnamon stick
  • 1 teaspoon lime zest
  • 5 cups drinking water
  • 1/2 cup sugar

Preparation:

Grind the rice in your blender until it is ground smooth. Toss with cinnamon stick and lime zest. Let rest overnight.
After resting, place rice mixture into blender and blend until smooth. Add in 2 cups of water to mixture and soak for 2 hours.
Strain the liquid through a fine sieve or cheesecloth a few times to remove any grittiness.
Add in the rest of the water (3 cups) and stir in sugar until dissolved. 


It is a delicious drink and goes well with the spicy mexican food.

 
This is my beautiful daughter Miakoda, looking so happy to have her picture taken.





No comments: